Deal locally, face-to-face!
- Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
- Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
- Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - your bank doesn't verify if these are genuine, they cash the fakes, and then hold you responsible.
- Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
- NEVER give out financial info (bank account, social security, Paypal account, etc).
- Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
- Refuse background/credit checks until you have met an employer in person.
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
If you suspect that a listing on RoofOnlineClassifieds.com may be connected to a scam, please contact us regarding your concern.
Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:
- Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
- Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction.